Certification – Understanding The Differences

Construction Training Fund

When it comes to traffic management certification in WA there are various types.  Statements of Attainment, Certificate of Accreditation, and Accreditation Photo ID Cards – what are the differences?

Each one is different and has a unique purpose.  The difference between each is where we see the most confusion coming from our customers organising traffic management training needs.

Let us help you learn and understand more about each one and what they mean.

Statements of Attainment (SOA)

Statements of attainment are documents (like a certificate) that show the units of competency that a student completes as part of a nationally recognised course. Unfortunately, we can’t call them certificates because ‘certificates’ are a different type of qualification in vocational training. Sorry, we know this is a little confusing!

In the world of vocational training, to be eligible for a qualification (such as a Certificate III in Civil Construction), a student is required to complete a number of modules called Units of Competency or UOC. A Statement of Attainment is issued when a student completes one or more of these units of competency but does not complete the full list of units of competency required for a full qualification.

Ultimately, a Statement of Attainment is a document showing which units of competency a student has completed as part of a nationally recognised training course.

Do Statements of Attainment expire?

Statements of Attainment don’t have expiration dates.  However, the various ‘tickets’ and accreditations that you may use your SOAs for, often have their own regulations to do with how long they remain valid.

For example: The Statement of Attainment you receive when completing a Basic Worksite Traffic Management & Traffic Controller (BWTM & TC) course, don’t have any expiry date.  However, the Main Roads WA BWTM & TC Certificate of Accreditation and Accreditation Photo ID card received with it does have an expiry date of 3 years.  After 3 years, reaccreditation training is required to keep skills fresh and up to date with industry regulations and changes.

Does a Statement of Attainment mean I can implement traffic management legally?

While a Statement of Attainment proves you have completed a certain Unit of Competency (UOC), it is not always, on its own, enough to allow you to legally implement traffic management or perform certain tasks.

For example: Completing our Worksite Traffic Management (WTM) course will award you with a Statement of Attainment.  However, you must then also meet all the required Main Roads WA prerequisites for your Main Roads WA Certificate of Accreditation and Photo ID accreditation card before you can legally perform the responsibilities within that level of accreditation – the Statement of Attainment by itself is not enough.

Certificate of Accreditation 

A certificate of accreditation is a document proving the attendance of a Main Roads WA training course that has led to an industry accreditation.  Main Roads WA accreditations could include Basic Worksite Traffic Management (BWTM), Worksite Traffic Management (WTM) or Operate Truck Mounted Attenuator (OTMA) just to name a few.

Accreditation Photo ID Card

Proof of certification is issued by training providers in the form of an accreditation ‘Photo ID’ card. Persons performing on-site traffic management tasks shall always carry this proof of certification with them. A database of persons holding current accreditation is maintained by training providers on Main Roads WA website.

[CLICK HERE] Check Your Main Roads WA Accreditation 

Do you need traffic management training? View our online training calendar here.

Are you already accredited and need to renew your accreditation? Read more.

Related Posts