How long is a Construction White Card valid for in WA

If you are looking to commence work in the traffic management or construction industry in WA, you may be wondering why you need a construction white card and just how long is a White Card valid for?  

Why do I need a White Card?  

The requirements for construction induction training apply to construction work. The definition of construction work under the Work Health and Safety Act 2020 and Work Health and Safety Regulations 2022 is very broad and picks up a wide range of activities.  

Construction work is defined in regulations [Reg 289] as meaning: 

any work carried out in connection with the construction, alteration, conversion, fitting-out, commissioning, renovation, repair, maintenance, refurbishment, demolition, decommissioning or dismantling of a structure. 

People who need a construction white card can include, but not limited to traffic controllers, labourers, plant operators, site supervisors, surveyors, tradespeople, or any workers whose job requires them to access a construction site to carry out construction work. To learn more on who needs to undertake construction induction training [read more here].

As a general rule of thumb, a White Card is required by anyone who wants to work within the construction industry in Australia.  

Will my White Card expire?  

The answer is that your White Card will not expire and will remain valid if whoever it is issued to, remains consistently within the construction industry, however if you have been out of the construction industry for a period of two years or more, your card will become invalid, and you will need to re-sit the course. This applies to all states and territories within Australia. 

White Card training providers in WA  

To find an approved RTO provider that can deliver white card training click here.  

Ensure when you enrol that you are complete the full qualification which must include a unit of competency called ‘CPCCWHS1001 – Prepare to work safely in the construction industry’.  

We have seen an increase of people undertaking training, such as introduction to white card training, which does not include the above unit of competency.  

How to check your White Card details  

Have you lost or damaged your Construction Induction (Blue/White) Card? Did you know you can ask the issuing registered training organisation (RTO) to provide you with a replacement. You can also use the white card database lookup to check your details and provider [white card lookup database]  

Do you need training? 

AusQ Training offer a range of courses to assist you in the traffic management or construction industry, in Perth, Bunbury and all over WA – to view our range of public training courses [click here] or view our calendar here

Make a time to chat to one of our Customer Support Team members [here] to discuss your traffic management training needs. 

Share This

Related Posts